Thursday, November 12, 2009

Humbled.

On Tuesday, I participated with work for an event called Feast of Sharing, put on by Central Market. They provided a Thanksgiving meal to people that typically will not have one over the holidays.

You can imagine the kind of people that came in droves that day: homeless, hungry, sick, tired and dirty. They wanted someone to listen to them. And I was most taken aback at their response when we asked how they were doing. Do you know what they said?

Blessed.

That was their response. I couldn't believe it. Here I was on the other side of the table, squirming in my chair, uncomfortable with their answer, because I was concerned about unpacking boxes at my new place and furnishing my apartment with "necessities" like a bath mat. Whoa.

It blew me away that they were so focused on their blessings. How many times do I wish things were different, so I focus on what I don't have, even though I have more than enough?

Then, I read blogs like Kelly's Korner, where Kelly and her husband are currently with Compassion International meeting children and families in El Salvador. These kids have nothing, they live in shacks out in jungles. And once again I am humbled, and I wonder what to do next.

I don't know what my response will be exactly. I am becoming more aware of hurting people that need to be shown Christ's love, and my heart aches for them. Yet here I sit.

But I also know that the Lord has put me in this spot for a reason. Here I sit at a non-profit organization, where I can minister to those around me. After all, that is where I am, currently. After many job applications and months of waiting, I work here for a reason. Not sure exactly why, yet, but here I am.

In John 15, Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?" and Peter says yes. Three times. After each of Peter's responses, Jesus says this:

Feed my lambs.

Take care of my sheep.

Feed my sheep.

Sheep are dumb. Smelly. Lost. In need of a Shepherd. Sounds a lot like us, huh? I know it sounds a lot like me. I am so thankful that I have Christ to be my Good Shepherd.

And if we are supposed to be more Christ-like every day, then I suppose I should try and feed some sheep, whether in an office, on the streets, or in an apartment. In the end, they are no different than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment