When I was in Yearbook in High school, we talked about designing pages with white space to let the reader's eye "rest". I found that the pages I was drawn to look at over and over again had just enough white space to help me see what was really important.
The same is true for many of the blogs I enjoy reading. I found that I really like the ones with the simple design and just enough white space. So I decided to change my blog design up a bit. We'll see how long it lasts; I was just ready for a bit of a change. (Sometimes I get antsy to redecorate or rearrange. Just the other day, I was rearranging my apartment in my head. Just for fun.)
Running
About two months ago, I started running. If you know me at all, you must know that I don't work out. Ever. I've been blessed with a very fast metabolism that enables me to eat at Sonic and any other fast food restaurant without it affecting my waistline. Now before you get all jealous on me, just think about how unhealthy that really is, and then think about what that's doing to my insides that I can't see. Nope--not a very pretty picture!
I started jogging and walking in two-minute segments {it's affectionately known as "wogging" now}. It was actually kind of embarrassing that I could barely run two minutes straight. I have a very sweet friend that's been so encouraging through this entire process, and we often run together. I used to not be able to run and carry on a conversation. Now, it's much better. At one point, I could run up to 15 minutes without stopping. I took about five days off in a row, though, so I've got to work back up to that. I'm training for a 5k in about three weeks, and I've got to get myself in gear! While I don't always enjoy the actual running (though some days, I do), I really enjoy the results and knowing that I'm taking better care of myself. And the muscles I've discovered in my legs are pretty cool. :-)
Tying it all together
Last night I ran by myself in my parents' neighborhood. The weather was actually cool, and there were just a few sprinkles. It was so uncharacteristic of a day in June, and I couldn't believe it. I feel horrible for the people affected by the hurricane that's headed for the Texas coast, but I'm grateful for the cooler weather it's bringing.
My iPod was dead, so I didn't have anything to occupy my head while I was running.
Yesterday's run provided my head (and heart) with some much-needed White Space. A chance to rest while running, if you will.
Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
I love this and love the new blog design. :)
ReplyDelete