Friday, May 6, 2011

The Power of Piles

Long ago in fourth grade, my cousin Anna introduced me to the Pile Method.  As a 10 year old, I didn't want to try on anything I saw in J.C. Penney's.  Anna, however, had just about everything possible in the girls' section INSIDE our one large dressing room.  I was dumbfounded.  Meanwhile, my Mom and Laura were pulling things for me to try on.  It's quite possible I already had the eye-roll down at this point.

When we got to the dressing room, I was overwhelmed.  Anna said, "It's easy, Shay!  You just make a Yes Pile, a No Pile and a Maybe Pile."  (You also have to imagine the lilt of her seven-year-old voice squeaking high on the first syllable of MAYbe.)

Let me tell you...that was the day it all changed in the dressing room.  (No pun intended.) 

Recently I ventured out of my usual Target shopping mode and went to the mall.  I was looking for some denim shorts that were much longer than the tiny 2-inch ones they feature in Tar-jay.  I needed a few more options.  When I got to the mall, I kept finding things I actually wanted to try on.  And of course, they brought me a few more shirts they "thought I might like."  Of course I did, thankyouverymuch

So here I am14 years later, still employing the yes-no-maybe pile system.  I'm telling you, it works like a charm.


This was my Maybe pile.

This was one part of my No pile.  All super-cute stuff that just didn't quite fit.

And this is my Yes pile.

Just kidding.
This is the rest of my No pile, after reevaluating my Maybes. :-)
And I did walk out of there with a pair of denim shorts. 
Imagine that.

So thanks, Anna, for teaching me to make piles and to take one thing at a time.  Who knew a seven-year-old could impart such wisdom??

No comments:

Post a Comment