Merry Christmas from Iowa!
We just got back from celebrating Christmas a bit early with Adam's fam. It was so much fun.
After flying into Des Moines, we got out to their house, and I got the grand tour before a four-wheel ride. It was still about 45 degrees then (read: warm), and we rode around in the ditches and the neighbors' land. I got to drive just a bit, but I'm no expert on this four-wheel driving business. I'm still trying to get the hang of a clutch. Ha.
Meet Sadie. In the back is Shelby the beagle. Let's just say I'm in love with both of them.
(I have another photo with Shelby but it got deleted, and I'm going to have to find it later.) These girls rule the roost, and they are so much fun. Adam loves his dogs, and I see why--they love him! They were so excited to see him home.
{AMP's brother & Sadie}
They love belly rubs and eating people food and curling up by the fire. Saturday morning I heard a little scratch on my bedroom door. I was already awake, so I cracked it open. The girls were waiting just outside, and they were a bit confused to see me there, since it was Adam's old room. Shelby hopped up on my bed to say good morning anyway. What a way to start the day!
Speaking of starting the day off right, it snowed! This was their first snow of the season, and it was beautiful. They have big windows in their family room and kitchen that look out over rolling hills, and I got to see the snow start and cover the ground. Exciting stuff for this Texas girl! (Pretty sure I was hopping around and dancing at the window watching the flakes, much to their amusement!)
Adam took me on a tour of life around town, and I got to see his school and church.
This isn't the entire school, but some of it. I loved seeing where Adam grew up!
Isn't it picturesque? I thought so!
The snow just kept falling, so we went out to play.
The dogs loved it, and they were totally worn out by the end of the day.
Here's Paul Bunyon Adam out with the ax.
Chopping wood is also a foreign concept to me. (Ok, let's face it--it all fascinates this city girl!)
We celebrated Christmas Eve on Saturday night, and had delicious wild rice soup and then grilled pork roast. They even grill in the winter up there. Who knew?!
I learned that the Paulsons don't just wrap up gift cards. Noooo. They put them in big boxes and put things in them to throw you off. This was my box from Adam, and there was a plastic lid in there, so that when I shook it, it made noise. Envelope #1 had a photo of Adam dressed up for prom (that was a clue that we're getting dressed up to go somewhere). It says "Keep Looking" under that, so I did. There was another envelope, and inside that was an invitation to dinner and the Transiberian Orchestra at the Symphony for Christmas. So excited!
After presents, the Blizzard started coming in. Oh man. I've never heard wind like that in my life. The windows rattled and the wind whistled. I was a little bit scared, but no one else seemed bothered too much by it. Adam even went out in it! (That's him with Shelby up there. Nope, not a burglar!)
They've got bunnies in their garage from an FFA competition his brother had a long time ago. Bunnies aren't supposed to live that long, but in a garage out of the wind with people feeding you, who wouldn't want to stick around, right?
Sunday afternoon, we drove about an hour to Iowa City, and I got a tour de Adam and saw his college campus and the fire house where he was a volunteer fire fighter in college. Then we went to a party with friends from his church there. (This was the same church where my favorite teacher/mentor from high school went while she and her husband worked there in Iowa, so I loved having that connection to some people there. Small world!) All his friends were so glad to see him and kept telling me how great Adam is.
Duh! :-)
We laugh a lot.
At one point, my face hurt from smiling and laughing so much.
I'd say it was a good weekend, -2 degree weather and all!
What a fun post!!! I loved Iowa City and thought it was all so picturesque, too! You look SOOOO HAPPY! Love it!! Glad you had a great time and thanks for the shout-out!!
ReplyDelete