Here's the story of Valentine's Day 2011...
Originally AMP and I weren't going to really celebrate Valentine's Day. When we saw a commercial for it a few weeks ago, we looked at each other and laughed, and said simlutaneously, "Let's just not do this holiday."
We'd just finished celebrating his birthday, and before that we celebrated Christmas at the Symphony, with my family, and even before that, Christmas with his family in Iowa. Not to mention my birthday was in November as well. Needless to say, we've done our fair share of celebrating in the last four months.
So here I am, thinking that Adam and I are just going to hang out like we usually do (which typically involves running, cooking, working on a project, or running errands--just being together), and I get this text:
So I know something might be up. And as I walk out to my car after work, I see these on my windshield:
{I have to say that Adam continually impresses me with his use of markers and construction paper. This is not his first creation for me.}
So now I'm thinking, "Well, shoot. This is totally against the 'Not Celebrating Valentine's' thing, but I'm liking it. A lot." So I head home, where Adam's waiting in his car, and I walk up to this:
At this point, I have zero words. Zero.
{Please note the use of construction paper again}
Next I learn that he's brought all these groceries, and he's going to teach me how to make his famous lasagna. He's made it for me once before, but I wasn't around to see him put it all together. I'd been wanting to learn, and it was a lot of fun. It takes a while to make and a while to bake, but we just jammed out to music, and it gave me an opportunity to get my words back. {Seriously, I couldn't complete a sentence for about an hour! I really just wasn't expecting this.}
Somewhere in between all the cooking, I see a bag on the mantle. I ask if I should open it now or later. "Now," he says. So I open it, and it's a 3 x 3 square box with a jewelry store name on it. Inside is a beautiful silver bracelet with an engraved heart! {It says, "My Shay Bear." Indeed.}
I wore it the rest of the evening and again today. Every time I look at it I just smile. :-)
We sat down to a delicious dinner of lasagna, garlic & Parmesan bread and salad. Yum.
AMP was quite proud--as he should be! I ended up with two dozen roses, dinner, a bracelet and a stuffed animal that the jewelry store threw in that says, "I'm Ape for you." It made us laugh. We're not really sure what that means...
I'm all for not celebrating more often! Suffice it to say that I felt incredibly special. Since I thought we weren't celebrating, I got Adam a humongous card (literally two feet tall) that was pretty funny. At least I bought a card! :-)
My alarm went off at 4:50 a.m this morning to get Downtown for a Kickoff Breakfast, and after my very exciting day, I was in bed before 10 last night! I'm still smiling from yesterday and probably will be for a good long while.
And that's the story of how we didn't celebrate Valentine's Day in 2011.
Man, I guess y'all just aren't going to celebrate any holidays from now on, huh!? Haha!
ReplyDelete