Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Foul Mouth

The Roomdog (who has a new blog, by the way) and I were just talking about using "bad words" last night.  As a teacher, she expects her students to have a clean mouth in her classroom.  It seems to me that many of her fourth graders know more foul language than I know to this day.  In fact, I used a word this week that I thought meant something else entirely.  Turns out it's NOT what I thought!  Still a little naive, I suppose.  Thank goodness someone gently corrected me--won't make that mistake again!

As we continued our discussion about the "F-word" last night we remembered when we found out about it.  I recall pulling up to a parking spot at Tom Thumb (in our green Mercury Villager van) and asking my mom what the F-word actually was (not what it meant).  She paused and said, "I don't even want to say it.  It's such a bad word."  So she told me what it rhymed with.  Looking back, that was pretty smart!  To this day, anytime I hear the word, it makes me cringe.  She really made a point in my little head. 

It made me laugh today when I read Amanda's post about the time she covered her middle fingers with foil before school one morning once she found out that it was bad.  Because that's so inconspicuous...

My mom also threatened to wash our mouths out with soap if we were sassy or had a foul mouth.  Thank goodness that never happened!  Gross.  But it probably would've made a point. :-)

Isn't it funny the things we remember growing up?!

1 comment: