I have a Baylor friend that just recently returned to Haiti with her husband after living in Dallas for the Summer. They have taught at a Christian school in Haiti since January, arriving just days before the earthquake hit. You can read about Ben and Katie here.
One thing that they have commented on over and over again is how fast-paced life is back here in the states. Their tone was not condescending, as they spent the entire summer going and going and going, but just more of an observation. Katie's most recent post linked to a New York Times article about people who are choosing to live more simply, even in the U.S. Tammy Strobel and her husband decided to downsize to 100 things and a 400 square foot apartment. Whoa.
After getting back in town from vacation, my Mom offered to come help me get my apartment organized, since Claire and I were having a bunch of people over Friday night. It was quite a helpful treat! Needless to say, Mom brought to my attention the large amount of clothes that I have in my closet. (I think we all know that I have a slight obsession with Target.) As I write this, I have a huge urge to go home and clean out anything and everything I don't need. (And I honestly don't need a whole lot.)
The news article suggested that people are happier when they spend money on exprieces rather than actual stuff, because you're creating memories instead of hoarding more junk. And I see where theyr'e coming from. Personally, I'm happiest when I'm hanging out with my friends and family and we get to sit around and talk, or go to a park or hang out at the lake--things that actually cost very little, if anything at all. (See BSB Weekend, Spending time with friends in town, or a Saturday filled with a run and hanging out). It really doesn't take much.
More importantly than any article, though, this is what Scripture says about stuff in Matthew 6:19-21:
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
That's really what gets me, when I think about it. With cars that don't always work and ceilings that leak (both things have happened to me this week), I am reminded that things can and are destroyed in a blink of an eye.
I realize that I have quite a long way to go in the less-is-more scenario, but hopefully this is just the beginning of something new. And don't think this is easy for me! I must confess that I cringed when I read in the article that Tammy "owns four plates, three pairs of shoes and two pots." I'm not sure I will ever get to that point (but I've learned to "never say never!"). At least a seed has been planted.
And now I'm off to clean out my closet...
I read the same article - so refreshing!
ReplyDelete