Friday, March 12, 2010

A Girl Weekend!

This past weekend, my sweet friend Amanda came to visit.  I got to be a bridesmaid and sing in her wedding this past August, which was an honor and so much fun.

It's been a while since we've had a girls' weekend, so this was highly anticipated on my calendar! (I mean, I love her husband, but it's different when we're just with the girls!)


{Rehearsal Dinner for Amanda's Wedding}

I love hanging out with Amanda for lots of reasons.  It's very easy for us just to talk, sit, and do nothing, or go and do something really fun.  Many times when we're out-and-about, people ask us if we're sisters.  Sometimes I just say yes, because it's more fun that way.  I think with the dark hair, big brown eyes, and big smile, we can definitely pass for being related.  Sometimes I feel like she's the sister I never had!

Friday night we went to eat at Grand Lux Cafe.  It's owned by the Cheesecake Factory, so the food and decor are both delicious!  The portions there are huge, so we split this delicious chicken dish.  I love eating out with Amanda because I know I always have a "splitting buddy" to share food with.  It works out pretty well!

We also work together, but in different cities.  So our conversation usually drifts from friend-talk  to work-talk pretty effortlessly.  It's nice to have someone that understands your environment and the people you work with.  But after a while, we just have to NOT talk about work!

On Saturday, we met up with two of our other Baylor friends, Lauren and Kristin, that also live here in Dallas.  We thought the weather was supposed to be beautiful, so we packed a picnic lunch and headed to the Arbor Hill Nature Preserve.  While sitting at a picnic table, the wind was blowing, and it was kind of cold.  We looked at each other and said, "Of all people, why are WE at a park?!"  Seriously, that's not really our thing.  (Not that I don't like the outdoors, but it's not at the top of my list most days!)  So we went to the mall that was five minutes away.  That was more our style!  (And only in Dallas can you go to a park and then a mall within five minutes.)  I have pictures from that day, but I've lost my camera cord.  I'll post later.

The rest of the weekend we just spent hanging out and catching up.  Amanda is great at listening and offering insight and words of wisdom.  It was really fun, and I'm so glad she was able to visit!

After she left, I sat down to read, and ended up reading almost an entire book.  I haven't done that in months and months, so it was quite a treat.


I would highly recommend reading The Help, by Kathryn Stockett.  Here's a summary, in the words of the New York Times:

In “The Help,” Kathryn Stockett’s button-pushing, soon to be wildly popular novel about black domestic servants working in white Southern households in the early 1960s, one woman works especially tirelessly. She labors long into the night. She is exhausted. Her eyes are stinging, her fingers bloody and sore.

Is she ironing pleats? Scrubbing toilets? Polishing silver for an all-important meeting of the local bridge club? No way. She is Miss Skeeter Phelan, a white woman. And the white women of “The Help” don’t do those demeaning jobs. They don’t do much of anything else either.

Read the New York Times review here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment