Remember roller blading as a kid? Well, I'm not athletic (at all), but I do balance pretty well, so skating and skiing are things I'm fairly good at, and I have good memories of doing these things growing up. I'd been thinking of trying to roller blade recently, so while I was at Target yesterday, I ran across some Schwinn Roller Blades and bought them. To my surprise, they ended up being $10.48!! They were in a damaged box, but they work just fine, so it was a great deal.
I went to my parents' neighborhood yesterday to try them out, and it was SO FUN!! I may be thin, but I am not in shape, by any means. Seriously, though, rollerblading is almost a full-body work out, because you have to balance and move your arms and legs. It was absolutely gorgeous weather this weekend, so I really enjoyed being outside. Claire went to Target today and got a pair and rollerbladed on Katy Trail in Dallas, so I think that's next on my list!
I knew I needed to find something to do that I enjoyed in order to get excited about working out. I think this may be it. Ha! Who would've thought. I also have 10 weddings to go to this summer, so I thought it would be a good excuse to get fit! :-)
I took our dog Skippy along for the first run, and he did pretty well. But, we ran into these two little crazy dogs that were barking their heads off, and I was trying to get away from them, not watching where I was going, and the road was a little bumpy. Well, I fell right on my butt...really hard. It still hurts! But I got right back up and kept going. I did keep saying, "ow. ouch. ow." for a good minute after I fell down. I promptly dropped Skippy off at the house and went around on my little route again.
I got a few funny looks from some people out in their yards, but I've decided not to care...too much. :-) It really was just fun! I'd been wanting to find some way to work out, but I knew running wasn't an option. I don't really enjoy it, but my dad just ran a half marathon today (way to go, Dad!!), and he's just learned to love running, so I thought that might work. It didn't. Plus, I had physical therapy for whiplash that I got in a jet-ski accident two summers ago, and the doctor told me that was the worst thing I could do for my neck. So...running was pretty much out. Onto rolling!
Did you see Whip It when it came out last summer? I can't remember when I saw it, but I know I liked it. It has Ellen Page in it (from Juno), and she learns to roller blade and compete in roller derbies. I don't think I'll be entering any competitions, but it really was a fun time!
Hope you are able to enjoy this beautiful weather. I'm off to hear my brother and his band play in a show tonight. They're in town recording this week, and I'm so excited to see him!! You can check out their music here:
http://www.myspace.com/troycartwrightmusic
I know this isn't what you intended to be commented upon, but 10 weddings? As in T-E-N?
ReplyDeleteYes, ten. 10. T-E-N. It's in the water here. Thankfully I'm only in one, so I'm not having to play "27 Dresses"...yet. :-)
ReplyDelete