I'm sitting in my "rainy day clothes:" a faded pair of jeans and a Baylor t-shirt that smells freshly of laundry detergent. I'm feeling quite cozy on this rainy Wednesday afternoon, and I thought it would be a good time to recommend a book that I just finished called Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner. {And sorry, you can't really "look inside," but it's the only photo of the cover I could find on Amazon.}
Someone else recommended this book to me, and I'll just take a snippet from the back cover to tell you about it. "Tracing the lives, loves, and aspirations of two couples who move between Vermont and Wisconsin, it is a work of quiet majesty, deep compassion, and powerful insight into the alchemy of friendship and marriage."
I've been so busy lately that it's been difficult to find a book that would hold my attention, and I also find it difficult to read regular fiction (as opposed to Christian fiction) that is not, um...dirty. But I had a chance to read on vacation, and I would highly recommend it.
The part that stuck with me was the couples' friendship that lasted their entire adult lives. It reminded me of our Baylor Summer Bunch, and how my parents and their friends have been friends through thick and thin.
I'll leave you with a quote. This was as the narrator, Larry, and his wife, were leaving their good friends.
"Our hands were out the windows, our necks craned for a last look at the people who above any other two on earth made us feel good, wanted, loved, important, and happy." (p. 215)

No comments:
Post a Comment