Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Flying

I flew to San Antonio today for work on Southwest's airplane painted for the state of New Mexico. Quite colorful, that plane.


I was so excited to get to wear my new gray boots. It was border-line cool enough to wear them when I started out because of the rain we've been getting. But really, I just wanted to wear them. And I made an executive decision that even though it will end up in the 80s, it's after Labor Day. And sometimes you just have to bust out the boots, baby.  And let's talk about the rain. Oh, the rain. It's made it so much cooler here and has been great, except it makes me want to snuggle in bed all day.

So...I just had a few interesting experiences at the airport.

I was talking to a lady at the gate, admiring her cute new baby. He was really sweet and even had a fuzzy head of blond hair. Precious. I'm pretty sure she was just trying to make conversation, which was really sweet, but she asked if I had any kids.

Excuse me? Kids? Do I look old enough to have kids? Oh my.

Then, I was standing in line to board and noticed a man with a Baylor athletic shirt on and struck up a conversation. I don't know if people from other schools do that, but it's definitely one of my favorite things about being an Alumni. He graduated in 2004. When I told him I was an '09 graduate, he said, "Oh wow. So you JUST graduated." Yes...about a year and a half ago.

How is it that I can be so old and so young in the span of 10 minutes?  Someone please explain this phenomenon.


I interned for Southwest Airlines one summer in college, and so I am a huge fan of theirs. One thing I love most is their Fun-LUVing culture. Today was no exception.  The flight attendant today reminded me of Jack in Will & Grace. If you've ever seen the show, you know what I'm talking about. If not, just imagine a vey dramatic and flamboyant man. It'll make you laugh.

Today I was reminded of a few things about myself: one, I love wearing boots. Two, I enjoy traveling, especially on Southwest. And three, perhaps my favorite thing about traveling is the people I get up the nerve to talk to. It's always interesting. And always entertaining.

And another good thing about flying is that I have some good, uninterrupted time to read. Right now I'm reading The Hole in Our Gospel, by Richard Stearns. It is really opening my eyes to serving those in poverty. Hopefully I'll be able to write some of my thoughts on it soon. But for now, I'm going back to reading.

Happy Thursday, blog friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment