Friday, September 10, 2010

Compassion International & My One Hundredth Post

After almost a year of blogging, I have reached my 100th post.  I've been thinking about what I wanted to write about for this entry the past week or so, as I knew it was approaching.  I knew that I wanted it to be more than just about me.

If I could tell you about just one thing, I think I would focus on Compassion International today.  The timing is perfect, because right now, there is a group of some really great writers who are blogging from Guatemala now through September 11.


Compassion Bloggers: Guatemala 2010

Each morning, I anticipate the entry of Amanda Jones.  And I have recently discovered the beautiful writing style of Canadian Ann Voskamp.  {Seriously, if you read one thing today, check out her post on meeting her sponsored child.}  There's also Lindsey Nobles from Nashville, and South African Gypsy Mama, Lisa-Jo.  Each of them provide a unique perspective on how this week is impacting them.  

But one thing they all have in common is the obvious difference sponsorship makes in the lives of one child, the difference it makes in their family, and the difference it makes in the community where Compassion International is working.  It's really incredible.  

For a long time, I had heard people at church encourage people to adopt a child through Compassion, but it wasn't until last October that I finally decided to take it upon myself and find a child that I could connect with.  

After searching, I chose to sponsor Juliet in Uganda.  It's kind of overwhelming because there are so many children in need, but I just finally picked one.  I thought it would be a sweet reminder to find someone similar in age to the twins I keep, J and G.  And she loves music, which we also have in common.




Last week, I picked up some mail from my parents house, and I realized I had received not one but two letters from Juliet.  One was a thank you for her birthday gift, and another one was just to say hello, and it included an updated photo.  I cannot tell you the joy it brought me to find those in the mail, especially the one with a new photo.  Juliet has grown so much!  I loved seeing her.  And if I get excited about mail from Juliet, I can only imagine what it must be like for her.  

When I see her picture each morning, Juliet reminds me that this world is so much bigger than myself.  But our God is bigger.  And although we come from very different backgrounds, he loves us the same.  It is so humbling to me.  And you know what else is humbling?  She tells me that she prays for me and my family.  

So with this one hundredth post, I would like to encourage you to consider sponsoring a child.  For $38 each month, they are fed, clothed, educated and poured into spiritually.  Often times, it ends up impacting the entire family.  

And if you already sponsor a child, then I encourage you to write them today.  I did.  It only took me a few minutes, but I'm already anticipating the letter I'll get back.  

I'll leave you with a quote from The Hole in Our Gospel that I mentioned briefly in my last post really struck a chord with me.  

"Bob Pierce once said, 'Don't fail to do something just because you can't do everything.'  These are wise words to anyone overwhelmed with the magnitude of human suffering in our world.  We are not asked to help all of them at once, just one at at time."  (page 152)


No comments:

Post a Comment