Adam and I went camping on Saturday with some friends from church, Sandy & David. The last time I camped was for five days in Arkasas (in a tent) so that I could "graduate" from the eighth grade. I survived that, so I figured I could make it one night in a "shelter" in the woods. The "roughing it" part came when we made the 20-minute round-trip to the bathroom. I was just glad they had a bathroom. (And thankful that Adam took me and Sandy in the middle of the night--what am I, five?? He was sweet, especially at 3:40 a.m.)
My biggest problem was packing. Usually I'm a good packer--I can put more than enough stuff in a small rolling bag and go. I even traipsed around Europe for a semester with only a backpack. Somewhere along the way, it went missing, and I was a loss as to what to pack stuff in. (Vera Bradley bags just didn't quite seem appropriate...)
Claire was out of town Friday, so I spent the night with my parents. It's a good thing, too, because my mom helped me go from an Olive Garden bag (wherever that came from--we don't have one near us!) and three small bags that wouldn't zip, into a more compact version that included a duffle bag. We laughed all morning as I tried to gather my stuff. This was going to be a bit out of my comfort zone. :-)
Whenever we have a lot of stuff to pack and load up, my family always makes a reference to the Clampetts:
I've picked up this reference over the years, and used it with confidence. However, I just Googled "Clampetts" this morning and discovered that they and Beverly Hillbilllies are one and the same. I might be a smidge embarrassed, but that's right up there with referencing "Who's on First" and not really knowing it's origin, either. (I did that once...just ask my college roommates.) Lesson learned: know your idioms (or whatever they're called...).
More pics to come of really camping! I just wanted it to go on record that I camped, survived and actually enjoyed it.

shay...camping?? I can't wait to hear more!!
ReplyDelete