Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh, Brother.

Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by all the horrible, sad things that go on in our world.  My heart is heavy for Japan, and it hit a little closer to home as I have a high school friend teaching in Hawaii, and they were on a tsunami watch.  According to Facebook, my friend is safe and sound now.  Thank goodness.

I find that the best way to get over my anxiety is to count my blessings.  And today I'm counting my sweet brother as one.  I was at dinner with my parents last night, laughing about memories I have growing up with Troy.  My dad (an only child) commented with a smile, "Isn't it nice to have a brother."  Indeed it is.

Most recently, I had to go in search of my toothpaste.  When Troy was home last month, I spent the night at home, because sometimes it's more fun to have a sleep over.  :-)  I woke up Sunday morning to a text reading "Thanks for the toothpaste, sis!"  It made me laugh.  I went and got it back that morning, and didn't think too much of it.  Well, I went home and started looking for my Colgate and couldn't find it anywhere.  I realized I must've left it at home, thinking I just didn't get it in my bag.

I went searching for it last night at the house, and couldn't find it in any drawer, and it wasn't on the counter.  I thought I was just going crazy, but I decided to look one more spot.  Lo and behold, it was sitting on TROY's counter.  In his bathroom.  The stinker came and used it again!  (And "forgot" to return it.)  But, Isn't it nice to have a brother.  

At dinner, we reminisced about the time we moved into our new house.  I was 7, Troy was 4, and for the first time, we were sleeping on the opposite sides of the house.  In my seven-year-old mind, that was REALLY FAR.  So Troy and I slept outside my parents' bedroom in the living room for nine months.  Yes, nine months.  (It's really amazing I went away to college, don't you think??)  At the time, there was no furniture, just a piano up against faux-finished painted walls.  That was it...except for us and our sleeping bags.  Isn't it nice to have a brother.  

Eventually Troy decided his bed was a good spot to sleep, so he started crashing in there instead.  I'd lost my buddy, so I began to rethink this whole sleeping-in-the-living-room thing.  Troy had a double bed, and I decided to sleep in there with him.  (I think we were 5 and 8 by this time.)  There were lots of late-night talks that happened on the dalmation sheets.  It was there that we became friends.  Isn't it nice to have a brother.

I remember one of those late night conversations really well.  We were talking about Heaven, and how you can spend eternity there if you admit you're a sinner and ask Jesus into your heart.  Troy asked me a few questions, and then he got really quiet.  I fell asleep, and apparently he slipped out of bed to see my mom.  That night he accepted Christ, and we were later baptized together on Memorial Day.  Isn't it nice to have a brother.

I have always loved having a buddy to do stuff with.  Please don't think that we're a model family and were the perfect siblings.  We fought.  We yelled.  I had to get stitches because of my brother.  But we are good friends and let me tell you, it's nice to have a brother.

We got closer when I went to college, and really enjoy hanging out together now that he's in college.  Sunday night, we had a nice chat on the phone, and it was great to catch up.  We are very differerent people, but still really good friends, and I can honestly say yes, it's so nice to have a brother.

A friend loves at all times,
   and a brother is born for adversity
Proverbs 17:17

No comments:

Post a Comment